(For deadlines, "semester" means "non-summer semester after entering graduate school at UGA." All completed forms should be forwarded to the Graduate Program Administrator.)
- Meet with the Graduate Admissions Committee to select first-semester courses the week before the start of the first semester.
- Meet with three or more faculty members to discuss research options; get signatures on the Major Professor Selection form during the first semester.
- Have selected research advisor sign the Major Professor Selection form by the end of the first semester.
- Select the Advisory Committee; submit the Advisory Committee for Master of Arts and Master of Science Candidates form by the end of the second semester.
Second Year and Beyond
- Submit the Program of Study for Master of Arts and Master of Science Candidates form to the Graduate Program Administrator by the end of the third semester. The following criteria must be fulfilled before submitting a program of study:
- Final Program of Study approved.
- Grade Point Average of 3.0 or better.
- 30-hour coursework requirement met.
- Advisory Committee confirmed and notified.
- Give graded seminar; variable timing.
- File the Application for Graduation form through the Graduate Program Administrator at least two full semesters before the graduation date.
- Submit the completed thesis to the research advisor for approval prior to distributing this to the Advisory Committee [variable].
- Distribute the thesis to the Advisory Committee. At least two weeks in advance of the Final Oral Examination, provide the date, time, place, and title of the dissertation to the Graduate Program Administrator who will forward this information to the Graduate School for posting on their website. Failure to provide this information could jeopardize the validity of the Final Defense.
- Take the Final Oral Examination and make any suggested changes to the thesis.
- Submit signed and completed Approval Form for Master's Thesis, Defense, and Final Examination Master of Arts and Master of Science Candidates to the Graduate School through the Graduate Program Administrator immediately after Final Oral Exam or after suggested changes are made.
- Submit final thesis to the Graduate School for approval electronically as .pdf file according to instructions on ETD Submission Form on the Graduate School web page by the end of the semester following the Final Oral Examination.
- Register for at least three hours of coursework (CHEM 7300) during the semester in which you will graduate. Complete all requirements and have all forms filed with the Graduate School at least one week prior to Graduation.